From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading xorg
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 23:46:28
1 Hello Dan Farrell,
2
3 > > The parentheses mean the flag is not available in
4 > > your profile. in this case, those video cards are for specific,
5 > > non-x86 hardware.
6 >
7 > Perhaps this is entirely true, and I am misinterpreting. But the
8 > manpage appears to say differently:
9 >
10 > () circumfix = forced, masked, or removed
11 >
12 > Not only might those options be masked, they might also be 'forced' or
13 > 'removed'.
14
15 Either way, the FLAG is not available. whether the option is forced on or
16 off (masked), you have no choice and the flag does nothing with this ebuild.
17
18 > dan@pascal ~ $ emerge openssl -avp
19 > [...]
20 > Calculating dependencies... done!
21 > [ebuild R ] dev-libs/openssl-0.9.8d USE="(sse2) zlib
22 > -bindist -emacs -test" 0 kB
23 > dan@pascal ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2
24 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
25 > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
26 > lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm
27 >
28 > Is portage building without sse2 support?
29
30 No, it is forced on. But in the example I replied to, all the flags were
31 in the form (-flag), not (flag).
34 > I think
35 > instead the support is 'forced' because my processor supports it,
36 > although perhaps I am incorrect. It might also be 'forced' because a
37 > dependency uses it, and therefore openssl can't _not_ use it, so it
38 > adds it in be default.
39
40 If the program can't not use it, the option is no longer optional, so
41 there would be no point in a USE flag anyway. In this case, I suspect
42 your profile is for CPUs that have SSE, so there is no point in providing
43 an option to disable it. Had you used a profile for a CPU that had no
44 SSE, you would see (-sse) in there, which is exactly what happens on this
45 iBook.
49 Neil Bothwick
50
51 [unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]