From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @preserved-rebuild EVEN IF some needed package is masked
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:46:47
1 Dale wrote:
2
3 > You say they dropped support. I call it dropping the ball. Same thing.
4
5 Sorry for "butting in"...
6
7 As I understand it, KDE development is mostly driven by volunteers (like
8 most OSS projects). Yes, some are probably paid/employed by interested
9 parties but this doesn't really change the fact that there are limited
10 resources that might be better to concentrate on the latest (and
11 "greatest"). Not trying to be flame-baiting but, as with all OSS
12 projects, if you don't like something, you can sharpen your hacking
13 skills and contribute/fork/whatever to get what you want. Besides,
14 comparing KDE with Microsoft is a bit unfair, don't you think? MS
15 products is payed and supported through the sale of their software. KDE
16 is free, unless you pay for support... Perhaps it's time to look around
17 for something that suits you better? For me I like simplicity/minimalism
18 and I've settled for xfce4.
19
20 For the record I used to run K3b with a minimal kde-support environment
21 (kdelibs, qt etc.), still under xfce4 of course, but I stopped
22 using/removed it when KDE4 was enforced. Not that I have anything
23 against qt4/KDE4 but it mandated installation of "accessibility"
24 libs/utilities + "the kitchen sink" (why that would be required is
25 beyond me; I thought accessibility was the exception and not the norm)...
26
27 Again, just my opinion, not meaning to upset you, Dale, or anyone else...
28
29 Best regards
30
31 Peter K