From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @preserved-rebuild EVEN IF some needed package is masked
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:39:10
1 pk wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
5 >> You say they dropped support. I call it dropping the ball. Same thing.
8 > Sorry for "butting in"...
9 >
10 > As I understand it, KDE development is mostly driven by volunteers (like
11 > most OSS projects). Yes, some are probably paid/employed by interested
12 > parties but this doesn't really change the fact that there are limited
13 > resources that might be better to concentrate on the latest (and
14 > "greatest"). Not trying to be flame-baiting but, as with all OSS
15 > projects, if you don't like something, you can sharpen your hacking
16 > skills and contribute/fork/whatever to get what you want. Besides,
17 > comparing KDE with Microsoft is a bit unfair, don't you think? MS
18 > products is payed and supported through the sale of their software. KDE
19 > is free, unless you pay for support... Perhaps it's time to look around
20 > for something that suits you better? For me I like simplicity/minimalism
21 > and I've settled for xfce4.
22 >
23 > For the record I used to run K3b with a minimal kde-support environment
24 > (kdelibs, qt etc.), still under xfce4 of course, but I stopped
25 > using/removed it when KDE4 was enforced. Not that I have anything
26 > against qt4/KDE4 but it mandated installation of "accessibility"
27 > libs/utilities + "the kitchen sink" (why that would be required is
28 > beyond me; I thought accessibility was the exception and not the norm)...
29 >
30 > Again, just my opinion, not meaning to upset you, Dale, or anyone else...
31 >
32 > Best regards
33 >
34 > Peter K
37 And this is the same thing that has already been said before. Volunteer
38 or paid, they dropped the ball.
39
40 Dale
41