From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: load too high
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:51:18
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > One of the workstations (amd64 2gig ram) has a load that never drops
5 > > below 1.0, as seen by top. Looking at a ps nothing stands out. I did
6 > > notice that 'X' is at the top of the list, even when the machine is
7 > > quiescent (nobody doing anything). Suspiciaous. Clearly I have a run
8 > > away or hidden process using resources. Although all my system run
9 > > kde 3.5.8 only one shows this problem.
12 > vmstat is your friend here. It's all in the man page, so use it and
13 > narrow down the process that's blocking. Maybe you have a threading
14 > race condition or similar.
15
16 # vmstat
17 procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
18 r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
19 0 0 0 847368 224736 403404 0 0 26 12 172 251 1 0 98 1
20
21 vmstat -s
22
23 2057808 total memory
24 1212156 used memory
25 611628 active memory
26 341672 inactive memory
27 845652 free memory
28 224784 buffer memory
29 404524 swap cache
30 6273340 total swap
31 0 used swap
32 6273340 free swap
33 20189 non-nice user cpu ticks
34 110 nice user cpu ticks
35 3748 system cpu ticks
36 2444468 idle cpu ticks
37 28905 IO-wait cpu ticks
38 588 IRQ cpu ticks
39 80 softirq cpu ticks
40 0 stolen cpu ticks
41 659529 pages paged in
42 289340 pages paged out
43 0 pages swapped in
44 0 pages swapped out
45 4307893 interrupts
46 6269353 CPU context switches
47 1202832933 boot time
48 7300 forks
52 > Also look into a hardware difference between this machine and the
53 > others, and differences in the kernel config and loaded modules.
54
55 Nothing here, all is similar to other system. And historically,
56 this system has not had this problem. I'm not certain when it started:
57
58 $ w
59 14:39:25 up 3:23, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
62 It looks more like corruption in the application binary to me.
63 When have you ever seen a system at all three timing interval
64 locked at 1.00 when a system is quiescent?
65
66 What package is top part of?
69 > If all this reveals nothing, then maybe you do have a suspicious
70 > problem. In which case, post back real quick
73 I do not suspect a 'hack' is involved, because if I pull the ethernet
74 cable, it does not effect the load (still at 1.00).
78 Jame
84 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list