From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: load too high
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:36:09
1 On Tuesday 12 February 2008, James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > > One of the workstations (amd64 2gig ram) has a load that never
4 > > > drops below 1.0, as seen by top. Looking at a ps nothing stands
5 > > > out. I did notice that 'X' is at the top of the list, even when
6 > > > the machine is quiescent (nobody doing anything). Suspiciaous.
7 > > > Clearly I have a run away or hidden process using resources.
8 > > > Although all my system run kde 3.5.8 only one shows this problem.
9 > >
10 > > vmstat is your friend here. It's all in the man page, so use it and
11 > > narrow down the process that's blocking. Maybe you have a threading
12 > > race condition or similar.
13 >
14 > # vmstat
15 > procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system--
16 > ----cpu---- r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo
17 > in cs us sy id wa 0 0 0 847368 224736 403404 0 0 26
18 > 12 172 251 1 0 98 1
19
20 According to this, that machine is sitting there doing nothing. So I see
21 two maybe three possibilities:
22
23 uptime and top are talking shit (happens way more often than one might
24 assume)
25
26 your machine is indeed hacked and trojaned, but the script kiddie forgot
27 to upload a modified top and uptime (highly unlikely - someone who
28 knows to replace vmstat will certainly replace top and uptime)
29
30 your kernel scheduler has a bizarre view of life. This is most likely,
31 I'd say you have a collection of settings that cause the kernel to
32 collect it's utilization stats at precisely the moment when it really
33 does do something useful. I saw someone rag poor Ingo two months back
34 on lkml with a similar thing. Turns out the user was right.
35
36 What are your relevant settings of things like:
37 cpu scheduler (not i/o scheduler)
38 timer freq
39 tickless kernel?
44 Alan McKinnon