From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel-3.2.1-gentoo + Broadcom-STA = Could not get rssi (-22)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:02:59
1 On Sunday 15 Jan 2012 01:38:08 Carlos Sura wrote:
2 > On 14 January 2012 18:14, Carlos Sura <carlos.sura1@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hello Mates,
4 > >
5 > > I have updated my kernel to 3.2.1, using my old config, when I boot my
6 > > laptop with the new kernel, my wireless was not working, I thought that
7 > > it was my mistake, but after a google search I found the following
8 > > article: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Broadcom_43xx
9
10 I'm not sure that this article is up to date.
11
12 Have you been through this:
13
14 http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
17 > > Since, my wireless card is: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n
18 > > Wireless LAN Controller
19 > >
20 > > That should work, right?
21
22 I'm running stable kernels and actually I'm still with 3.0.6 because the 3.1.6
23 crashes when I suspend to RAM. Also my wireless card is BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-
24 PHY and it works fine with the b43 driver on the older kernels - which driver
25 was yours using?
26
27 (from lspci -k)
28
29 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev
30 01)
31 Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
32 Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
33 Kernel modules: ssb
36 > > Then I did the Open Source Kernel Driver, and installed the package
37 > > broadcom-sta.
38
39 The broadcom-sta is Broadcom's proprietary driver - not Open Source!
40
41 According to the URL I mention above the BCM4313 chipset uses unsupported LCN
42 PHY, and the kernel developers are working on it. May be worth talking to
43 them on #bcm-users in irc.freenode.net to see what they recommend. I suspect
44 your choices are wl (which I don't think is in kernel) and the staging driver
45 brcmsmac (because the mac80211 does not work with Broadcom's proprietary
46 ieee80211 stack).
49 > > Boot the laptop again, and 'voila' wireless was working again, but after
50 > > 25-30 minutes using it, it stopped working, show me a blank screen with
51 > > the following error:
52 > >
53 > > Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!
54 > > Jan 14 18:12:14 gentoo-b0x kernel: [ 614.214017] ERROR
55 > > @wl_cfg80211_get_station : Could not get rssi (-22)
56 > >
57 > > with a loop of that message, I could not do anything, just ctrl + alt +
58 > > supr to reboot
59 > >
60 > > Second time, took 15-20 minutes and the same mistake, this is my third
61 > > time with the new kernel, I'm 15 minutes now, and nothing happened.
62
63 See if the module has any options for power saving and switch them off.
66 > > Any help?
67 > >
68 > > Regards
69 > >
70 > > --
71 > > Carlos Sura.-
72 > > www.carlossura.com
73 >
74 > I'm back in the old kernel, and removed the broadcom-sta package and
75 > wireless seems to works.
76 >
77 > So, there is no need of broadcom-sta at this moment in the old kernel,
78 > maybe the new kernel works too without that package, I will update later,
79 > after testing.
80
81 It may help if you were to tell us which driver you are now using.
82 --
83 Regards,
84 Mick