From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 00:52:30
1 > > What would have been best, could have been done years ago and not cost
2 > > lots of money and even more in security breaches and what I meant by
3 > > ipv5 and would still be better to switch to even today with everyone
4 > > being happy to switch to it is simply ipv4 with more bits for address
5 > > space.
6 >
7 > This should be FAQ entry zero for the IPV6 FAQ... *NO* you can *NOT*
8 > add more bits to IPV4, and still have it backwards compatable. It won't
9 > work... period... end of story. Every piece of hardware and software
10 > that deals with IPV4 has the concept of 32 bits *HARD-CODED* into it.
11 > Switching over to IPV4-extended would be just as painfull as switching
12 > over to IPV6.
13
14 No it would not, the headers would be different. All the hardware would
15 have already updated because there would be no bad sides and it would
16 have been released something like 15 years ago. But lets not discuss
17 them as we would be here for an eternity and there are already whole
18 websites dedicated to just that.
19
20 I re-iterate it would be worth hardware not being backwards compatible
21 again to go to ipv4 with large address space today.
22
23 http://www.hackingipv6networks.com/past-trainings/hip2011-hacking-ipv6-networks.pdf
24
25 That's just on security. There's a whole bad side to it's functionality
26 too.
30
31 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
32 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
33 universal interface'
34
35 (Doug McIlroy)