From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 00:13:59
1 On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 09:49:23PM +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote
2
3 > What would have been best, could have been done years ago and not cost
4 > lots of money and even more in security breaches and what I meant by
5 > ipv5 and would still be better to switch to even today with everyone
6 > being happy to switch to it is simply ipv4 with more bits for address
7 > space.
8
9 This should be FAQ entry zero for the IPV6 FAQ... *NO* you can *NOT*
10 add more bits to IPV4, and still have it backwards compatable. It won't
11 work... period... end of story. Every piece of hardware and software
12 that deals with IPV4 has the concept of 32 bits *HARD-CODED* into it.
13 Switching over to IPV4-extended would be just as painfull as switching
14 over to IPV6.
15
16 We will be running out of IPV4 address space shortly so we do need to
17 upgrade. Having said that, I don't understand all the hate for NAT. At
18 the risk of being called an elitist, I'll say that 95% of average
19 internet users have no business running servers; heck many of them can't
20 even keep *CLIENTS* properly secured. If IPV6-NAT in my home causes me
21 any problem, that's my problem.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications