From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: python mess - random winge!
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 18:30:50
1 On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 1:10 PM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 05/07/2022 17:44, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > hat and its dependencies. Obviously you need to be caught up before
5 > > things get removed from the repo, but the offending package itself
6 > > will get removed when that happens anyway.
7 > >
8 > > You can always just globally keep the older version around longer if
9 > > you don't want to deal with a bunch of cruft in
10 > > /etc/portage/package.use. The news item explains how to do this.
11 >
12 > I'd be inclined to lock the older version of the package you want so it
13 > won't upgrade automatically (don't know how to do this, probably put
14 > that particular version in @world), and also give that a python 9
15 > dependency in package.use.
16
17 The news item explains how to get the upgrade earlier, delay the
18 upgrade entirely, or have support for both versions. I'd suggest
19 doing it the way the news item suggests, because when you start
20 fighting the devs who maintain the python update logic, you're
21 probably going to find yourself swearing a lot.
24 Rich