From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: python mess - random winge!
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 17:10:48
1 On 05/07/2022 17:44, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > hat and its dependencies. Obviously you need to be caught up before
3 > things get removed from the repo, but the offending package itself
4 > will get removed when that happens anyway.
5 >
6 > You can always just globally keep the older version around longer if
7 > you don't want to deal with a bunch of cruft in
8 > /etc/portage/package.use. The news item explains how to do this.
9
10 I'd be inclined to lock the older version of the package you want so it
11 won't upgrade automatically (don't know how to do this, probably put
12 that particular version in @world), and also give that a python 9
13 dependency in package.use.
14
15 That way, when they update it to python 10, you can delete the version
16 lock on your package, and it will upgrade and get rid of all the python
17 9 stuff without you having to worry about it.
18
19 I always try and make sure anything I don't care about but that needs
20 specific stuff is always specified by version. That way, as the system
21 moves on, all that cruft just falls off the wagon ...
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol