From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm problem -- is timing?
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:11:29
1 On Tuesday 23 June 2009 21:15:13 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > > I'd put /home and /var on the SD card to start with, you may need to
3 > > put /usr/src on there too or your SSD may fill up when installing or
4 > > compiling a second or third kernel.
5 > >
6 > > I'd also move the portage tree there, but you can do that
7 > > post-installation by moving /usr/portage to /var/portage and changing
8 > > PORTDIR in make.conf.
9 > >
10 > > Mount the partitions in the relevant places for installation,
11 > > /mnt/gentoo/var etc.
12 >
13 > OK, been staring at this terminal for about an hour. I'm at
14 > root@sysresccd /mnt/gentoo where sda1 is mounted. Do I just mount sdb1
15 > on /mnt/gentoo too? Do I delete home and var then mkdirs on sdb2?
16 > Won't they just be re-made on the same partition, sda1? I've already
17 > unpacked portage on sdb1(mounted on usr), not a problem, I can just
18 > delete it. But why is it when I umount sdb1 from usr and mount it
19 > under /mnt/gentoo I can't see portage under /mnt/gentoo? It's there
20 > when I mount sdb1 on usr. Do I need to fdisk /dev/sdb with all the
21 > relevant partitions? Then I'll have one big 4G partition on the SSD
22 > and a lot of little partitions on the 8G SD, no?
23
24 Think about this.
25
26 You have something mounted at /mnt/gentoo. You want to mount something else at
27 /mnt/gentoo - this will succeed, but what makes you think you will then be
28 able to see the files from the first thing mounted there?
29
30 Light bulb coming on yet?
31
32 You have two things to mount, so mount them on *different*directories* and mv
33 files around to your heart's content.
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com