From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:15:50
1 Am Thu, 21 Dec 2017 13:00:47 +0100 schrieb Marc Joliet:
2
3 > Am Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2017, 10:45:41 CET schrieb Jörg Schaible:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> Am Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:07:08 -0500 schrieb John Blinka:
7 >> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Grant Edwards
8 >> >
9 >> > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >> >> How do I skip grub and continue?
11 >> >
12 >> > emerge --skipfirst --resume
13 >>
14 >> This is unfortunately really dangerous, because "emerge --resume" will
15 >> recalculate the order of the outstanding packages and you have no
16 >> guarantee that the first one will be the one that failed the last run.
17 >> In that case you skip an arbitrary package and you may increase your
18 >> problems.
19 >>
20 >> You can use --skipfirst only if you have restarted emerge with --resume
21 >> only and you have ensured that it will really continue with the failing
22 >> package. You may abort the build then with CTRL-C and restart emerge
23 >> with both options.
24 >
25 > That clashes with my understanding, so I looked it up, and it turns out
26 > I was right. From emerge(1):
27 >
28 >> --skipfirst
29 >>
30 >> This option is only valid when used with --resume. It
31 >> removes the first package in the resume list.
32 >> Dependencies are recalculated for remaining packages and
33 >> any that have unsatisfied dependencies or are masked will
34 >> be automatically dropped. Also see the related
35 >> --keep-going option.
36 >
37 > Note the "remaining dependencies" part. Otherwise, what would be the
38 > point of --skipfirst if it were so unpredictable?
39
40 Well, that's the difference between theory and practice. I've been bitten more than once, but you may do as
41 you want, it's your system ...
42
43 Cheers,
44 Jörg