From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 12:01:13
1 Am Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2017, 10:45:41 CET schrieb Jörg Schaible:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Am Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:07:08 -0500 schrieb John Blinka:
5 > > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Grant Edwards
6 > >
7 > > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >> How do I skip grub and continue?
9 > >
10 > > emerge --skipfirst --resume
11 >
12 > This is unfortunately really dangerous, because "emerge --resume" will
13 > recalculate the order of the outstanding packages and you have no guarantee
14 > that the first one will be the one that failed the last run. In that case
15 > you skip an arbitrary package and you may increase your problems.
16 >
17 > You can use --skipfirst only if you have restarted emerge with --resume only
18 > and you have ensured that it will really continue with the failing package.
19 > You may abort the build then with CTRL-C and restart emerge with both
20 > options.
21
22 That clashes with my understanding, so I looked it up, and it turns out I was right. From
23 emerge(1):
24
25 > --skipfirst
26 >
27 > This option is only valid when used with --resume. It removes
28 > the first package in the resume list. Dependencies are
29 > recalculated for remaining packages and any that have
30 > unsatisfied dependencies or are masked will be automatically
31 > dropped. Also see the related --keep-going option.
32
33 Note the "remaining dependencies" part. Otherwise, what would be the point of --skipfirst if
34 it were so unpredictable?
35
36 > > I had to do that several times in my 17.0 upgrades.
37 >
38 > Maybe more times than necessary ;-)
39
40 Really, sometimes I wonder why I keep seeing people on this list who clearly haven't heard
41 of the --keep-going option. It's there for a reason. And don't tell me anybody actually *likes*
42 having to manually continue the emerge process, because that's just so, so tedious.
43
44 > Cheers,
45 > Jörg
46
47 Greetings
48 --
49 Marc Joliet
50 --
51 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
52 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup