From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 17:02:32
1 On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 07:00:47 -0500,
2 Marc Joliet wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
5 > [1.1 <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
6 > [1.2 <text/html; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
7 > Am Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2017, 10:45:41 CET schrieb Jörg Schaible:
8 >
9 > > Hi,
13 > > Am Mon, 18 Dec 2017 11:07:08 -0500 schrieb John Blinka:
14 >
15 > > > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Grant Edwards
16 >
17 > > >
18 >
19 > > > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
20 >
21 > > >> How do I skip grub and continue?
22 >
23 > > >
24 >
25 > > > emerge --skipfirst --resume
29 > > This is unfortunately really dangerous, because "emerge --resume" will
30 >
31 > > recalculate the order of the outstanding packages and you have no guarantee
32 >
33 > > that the first one will be the one that failed the last run. In that case
34 >
35 > > you skip an arbitrary package and you may increase your problems.
39 > > You can use --skipfirst only if you have restarted emerge with --resume only
40 >
41 > > and you have ensured that it will really continue with the failing package.
42 >
43 > > You may abort the build then with CTRL-C and restart emerge with both
44 >
45 > > options.
46 >
47 > That clashes with my understanding, so I looked it up, and it turns out I was right. From emerge(1):
48 >
49 > > --skipfirst
53 > > This option is only valid when used with --resume. It removes
54 >
55 > > the first package in the resume list. Dependencies are
56 >
57 > > recalculated for remaining packages and any that have
58 >
59 > > unsatisfied dependencies or are masked will be automatically
60 >
61 > > dropped. Also see the related --keep-going option.
62 >
63 > Note the "remaining dependencies" part. Otherwise, what would be the point of --skipfirst if it were so unpredictable?
64 >
65 > > > I had to do that several times in my 17.0 upgrades.
69 > > Maybe more times than necessary ;-)
70 >
71 > Really, sometimes I wonder why I keep seeing people on this list who clearly haven't heard of the --keep-going option. It's there for a reason. And don't tell me anybody actually *likes* having to manually continue the emerge process,
72 > because that's just so, so tedious.
73 >
74 > > Cheers,
75 >
76 > > Jörg
77 >
78 > Greetings
79 >
80 > --
81 >
82 > Marc Joliet
85 I have been doing explicit packages as stated in another thread here
86 and I just delete all the lines before the one that fails. I did not
87 want to use --keep-going because I really did want to fix things as
88 they came up, in case they might effect some packages further down on
89 the list. What I did was to do
90 emerge -ep @world | awk '/ebuild/ {print "="$4}' >a
91
92 Once I had that a file, I just put emerge -1a before the first line
93 and put \ at the end of each line and I was off to the slow races!
94 Its been about a week with the bugs I had to research and the ebuilds
95 I had to patch, etc. but its going now and there is only 1-200
96 packages to go out of 1500 or so.
99 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
100 How do
101 you spend it?
102
103 John Covici wb2una