From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gummiboot -> efibootmgr
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 06:12:36
1 On Monday, August 22, 2016 02:59:55 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Håkon Alstadheim
3 >
4 > <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no> wrote:
5 > > Booting straight into linux on an EFI system without a boot-loader means
6 > > you have no way to provide command-line or initramfs as far as I can
7 > > tell, all modules must be compiled in, and default command-line needs to
8 > > be set in the kernel config.
9 >
10 > You can have an initramfs, but it also has to be compiled in. Just as
11 > with the command line there is an option to include an initramfs in
12 > the kernel. I think it actually always builds with some kind of stub
13 > of one. This means that you can use modules. It is a pita though,
14 > since you'd need to configure your kernel without the initramfs, build
15 > everything, install your modules, build your initramfs, then change
16 > your config to include the initramfs, and THEN rebuild the kernel
17 > itself (which would be fast since most of it is already built), and
18 > run the final make install I guess.
19
20 Why not simply follow best practices when configuring your own kernel and put
21 all boot-necessary modules internal?
22
23 > Heaven help you if you need single-user mode or whatever. Though, I
24 > guess you could build a bunch of kernels with various command lines.
25 > They'd use a lot of space comparatively, but wouldn't actually take
26 > that long to build since again the makefile is reasonably efficient.
27 > Plus I always build kernels on a tmpfs anyway.
28
29 What about an init-script that checks for a specific key-press during boot and
30 switches to single-user mode when necessary?
31
32 > It generally makes sense to use a bootloader with EFI as a result.
33
34 It helps :)
37 Joost