From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gummiboot -> efibootmgr
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 19:00:12
1 On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Håkon Alstadheim
2 <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no> wrote:
3 >
4 > Booting straight into linux on an EFI system without a boot-loader means
5 > you have no way to provide command-line or initramfs as far as I can
6 > tell, all modules must be compiled in, and default command-line needs to
7 > be set in the kernel config.
8
9 You can have an initramfs, but it also has to be compiled in. Just as
10 with the command line there is an option to include an initramfs in
11 the kernel. I think it actually always builds with some kind of stub
12 of one. This means that you can use modules. It is a pita though,
13 since you'd need to configure your kernel without the initramfs, build
14 everything, install your modules, build your initramfs, then change
15 your config to include the initramfs, and THEN rebuild the kernel
16 itself (which would be fast since most of it is already built), and
17 run the final make install I guess.
18
19 Heaven help you if you need single-user mode or whatever. Though, I
20 guess you could build a bunch of kernels with various command lines.
21 They'd use a lot of space comparatively, but wouldn't actually take
22 that long to build since again the makefile is reasonably efficient.
23 Plus I always build kernels on a tmpfs anyway.
24
25 It generally makes sense to use a bootloader with EFI as a result.
28 Rich