From: Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@×××××.net>
To: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Tails security implemetation
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 16:01:16
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Nils Gillmann <niasterisk <at> grrlz.net> writes:
6 >> > So I just read about how Tails is now available on Debian [1].
7 >
8 >> > [1] https://bits.debian.org/2016/02/tails-installer-in-debian.html
9 >
10 >> > [2] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/installer/
11 >
12 > Trimmed down per gmane posting rules.
13 Could you provide a link, so I could look into the rules, as the
14 gentoo.org pages dealing with the lists show no difference to
15 what I am used to on other lists.
16
17 --snip--
18
19 >> There are gentoo based systems with security in mind, but I am not very
20 >> positive about re-creating Tails on current state of Gentoo.
21
22 I have to rephrase this. It is possible, but I personaly don't
23 see a benefit in reinventing the 10th generation of wheels (a
24 widespread issue). For research, well, why not.
25
26 > Hmmmm. LikeWhoa, one of the gentoo devs, put together a gentoo install
27 > system from usb, that includes persistence, quite some time ago. [B]
30 >> Tails and/or Whonix have tried and shifted focus away from Gentoo
31 >> for reasons which can be read on their github repo wiki and with
32 >> good websearches.
33 See next reply.
34 > Tails is the tor-node on a usb, with persistence, or did I miss some of
35 > the deeper capabilities? Having a debian and gentoo similar (anonymous)
36 > device does seem a bit enticing to me. For sure it'd be a great additional
37 > protection for credit card usage over the net, in addition to the existing
38 > pathetic protections folks currently have.
39 >
40 > I certainly appreciate your candor. However, I cannot find the listing of
41 > issues with these aforementioned codes(packages) on gentoo. All I think I
42 > really need it the software (packages) listings and some guidelines and
43 > gotchas. Also you should look at Anthony's excellent works [C]. I'd
44 > ceratainly appreciate a bit more detail (private email is ok too), or a
45 > 'data dump' on exactly what problems exist. My interest is to master a
46 > similar device for stealth usage, that is gentoo centric. Most of the pieces
47 > seem to be present, so it's mostly an integration and testing effort?
48
49 Okay, I think I was wrong. I got mixed up with Whonix and Tails
50 coming together, what whonix did run into is listed here:
51 https://github.com/Whonix/Gentoo-Port/issues
52
53 Back then I did not look very closely. It might be that some of
54 the 1 - 1.5 year old issues are closed now.
55
56 I only did stop because I became sceptical on some parts of the
57 Gentoo project and looked for better solutions to topic unrelated
58 issues. Currently I am interested in doing the same thing with
59 GuixSD or with Gentoo running Guix, although that's a rather long
60 term project and not my primary focus of interest.
61
62 > James
65 > [A] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/HardenedGentooTG
66 >