From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Tails security implemetation
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:09:42
1 Nils Gillmann <niasterisk <at> grrlz.net> writes:
4 > > So I just read about how Tails is now available on Debian [1].
5
6 > > [1] https://bits.debian.org/2016/02/tails-installer-in-debian.html
7
8 > > [2] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/installer/
9
10 Trimmed down per gmane posting rules.
13 > I did dig into this when I had the idea to rebuild a Whonix +
14 > Tails on the basis of Gentoo before I realized the brokeness of
15 > virtualization (as in: insecure the better virtualization works),
16 > asked the whonix devs about a statement, got none, asked contacts
17 > and eventually got enough info over the last year to consider it
18 > something I wouldn't try.
19
20 Hmmm. Well I usually use a minimal gentoo (profile -1) amd64 system to first
21 build things, only installing packages requisite for the intended target.
22 That avoids VM issues. I guess there is the Whonix gateway, and that looks
23 pretty straightforward here [A].
26 > There are gentoo based systems with security in mind, but I am not very
27 > positive about re-creating Tails on current state of Gentoo.
28
29 Hmmmm. LikeWhoa, one of the gentoo devs, put together a gentoo install
30 system from usb, that includes persistence, quite some time ago. [B]
33 > Tails and/or Whonix have tried and shifted focus away from Gentoo
34 > for reasons which can be read on their github repo wiki and with
35 > good websearches.
36
37 Tails is the tor-node on a usb, with persistence, or did I miss some of
38 the deeper capabilities? Having a debian and gentoo similar (anonymous)
39 device does seem a bit enticing to me. For sure it'd be a great additional
40 protection for credit card usage over the net, in addition to the existing
41 pathetic protections folks currently have.
44 I certainly appreciate your candor. However, I cannot find the listing of
45 issues with these aforementioned codes(packages) on gentoo. All I think I
46 really need it the software (packages) listings and some guidelines and
47 gotchas. Also you should look at Anthony's excellent works [C]. I'd
48 ceratainly appreciate a bit more detail (private email is ok too), or a
49 'data dump' on exactly what problems exist. My interest is to master a
50 similar device for stealth usage, that is gentoo centric. Most of the pieces
51 seem to be present, so it's mostly an integration and testing effort?
52
53 James
56 [A] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/HardenedGentooTG
57