From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virt-manager
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 01:18:46
1 On Thursday, July 7 at 23:30 (+0100), john said:
2
3 > On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:26:18 -0400
6 > Have cleared up error messages using config as suggested.
7 >
8 > I still get the issue when starting /etc/init.d/libvirtd
9 >
10 > > * Starting libvirtd ...
11 > > /usr/sbin/libvirtd: error: Unable to initialize network sockets.
12 > > Check /var/log/messages or run without --daemon for more info.
13 > > * start-stop-daemon: failed to start
14 > > `/usr/sbin/libvirtd' [ !! ]
15 > > * ERROR: libvirtd failed to start
16
17 You'll have to turn up the logging level of libvirt (to find out exactly
18 what it's trying to do and where it's erroring out).
19
20 > BUT when i start /usr/sbin/libvirtd from command line virt-manager now
21 > works. It lets me create vms (yippee)
22 >
23 > I was unaware that libvirtd was a separate package (thought it was part
24 > of virt-manager. After reading your hints it dawned on me that is was
25 > seaparate so have enabled more use flags. I should check more carefully
26 > the output of emerge -vp.
29 libvirt (not libvirtd) is a seperate package, it (possibly) contains a
30 number of things, including
31
32 libvirt: the C library that allows you to manage many different types of
33 virtualization platforms using a common API.
34 Python bindings for the above
35 A command-line and shell interface (called virsh)
36 libvirtd, which is a daemon helper used to manage virtualization
37 platforms which don't have their own management service (such as kvm).
38
39 virt-manager, is a seperate product. It is a GUI interface written in
40 python that is used to talk to manage different types of virtualization
41 platforms. It uses libvirt (its python bindings) to do this. Think of
42 it as a GUI version of virsh.
43
44 But you don't need virt-manager to use libvirt, and you don't even need
45 libvirtd to use libvirt (e.g. you are interfacing with Xen or VMware
46 hypervisors).
47
48 That's why I was trying to say it's good for you to figure out what you
49 are trying to do, before you go through the trouble of figuring out how
50 to solve a problem that doesn't even pertain to you and could have been
51 avoided altogether just by choosing the right combination of USE flags.
52
53 If you are just wanting have a GUI for Xen, for example, you don't even
54 need to worry about libvirtd. If, for example, you are using KVM but
55 you want the VMs to bridge off a physical interface and have no need for
56 "virtual networks", then you don't even need the virt-net USE flag.
57
58 > Anyway I am up and running with a big thanks to yourself and will have
59 > a closer look at the service another day.
60
61 Ok