From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virt-manager
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 21:14:33
1 On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 21:17:12 -0400
2 Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > On Thursday, July 7 at 23:30 (+0100), john said:
7 >
8 > > On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:26:18 -0400
11 > > Have cleared up error messages using config as suggested.
12 > >
13 > > I still get the issue when starting /etc/init.d/libvirtd
14 > >
15 > > > * Starting libvirtd ...
16 > > > /usr/sbin/libvirtd: error: Unable to initialize network sockets.
17 > > > Check /var/log/messages or run without --daemon for more info.
18 > > > * start-stop-daemon: failed to start
19 > > > `/usr/sbin/libvirtd' [ !! ]
20 > > > * ERROR: libvirtd failed to start
21 >
22 > You'll have to turn up the logging level of libvirt (to find out
23 > exactly what it's trying to do and where it's erroring out).
24 >
25 > > BUT when i start /usr/sbin/libvirtd from command line virt-manager
26 > > now works. It lets me create vms (yippee)
27 > >
28 > > I was unaware that libvirtd was a separate package (thought it was
29 > > part of virt-manager. After reading your hints it dawned on me that
30 > > is was seaparate so have enabled more use flags. I should check
31 > > more carefully the output of emerge -vp.
34 > libvirt (not libvirtd) is a seperate package, it (possibly) contains a
35 > number of things, including
36 >
37 > libvirt: the C library that allows you to manage many different types
38 > of virtualization platforms using a common API.
39 > Python bindings for the above
40 > A command-line and shell interface (called virsh)
41 > libvirtd, which is a daemon helper used to manage virtualization
42 > platforms which don't have their own management service (such as kvm).
43 >
44 > virt-manager, is a seperate product. It is a GUI interface written in
45 > python that is used to talk to manage different types of
46 > virtualization platforms. It uses libvirt (its python bindings) to
47 > do this. Think of it as a GUI version of virsh.
48 >
49 > But you don't need virt-manager to use libvirt, and you don't even
50 > need libvirtd to use libvirt (e.g. you are interfacing with Xen or
51 > VMware hypervisors).
52 >
53 > That's why I was trying to say it's good for you to figure out what
54 > you are trying to do, before you go through the trouble of figuring
55 > out how to solve a problem that doesn't even pertain to you and could
56 > have been avoided altogether just by choosing the right combination
57 > of USE flags.
58 >
59 > If you are just wanting have a GUI for Xen, for example, you don't
60 > even need to worry about libvirtd. If, for example, you are using
61 > KVM but you want the VMs to bridge off a physical interface and have
62 > no need for "virtual networks", then you don't even need the virt-net
63 > USE flag.
64 > > Anyway I am up and running with a big thanks to yourself and will
65 > > have a closer look at the service another day.
66 >
67 > Ok
71 LOL Well I was up and running but now when trying to create VMs I get
72 (have done upgrade of around 20 packages)
73
74 Uncaught error validating install parameters: Must pass a VirtualDevice
75 instance.
76
77 Traceback (most recent call last):
78 File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1241, in
79 validate
80 return self.validate_final_page()
81 File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1501, in
82 validate_final_page
83 self.guest.add_device(self.nic)
84 File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line
85 666, in add_device
86 raise ValueError(_("Must pass a VirtualDevice instance."))
87 ValueError: Must pass a VirtualDevice instance.
88
89 dnsmasq installed. python-updater run. revdep-rebuild etc......
90
91 Are there any other GUIs to try for for virtualisation?????
92
93 Or is it better sticking to CL to qemu-kvm?
94 Am I expecting too much for this just to work?
101 John D Maunder
102 jdm@××××××××××××.uk