From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 16:40:38
1 On Friday, 24 November 2017 16:16:15 GMT Ralph Seichter wrote:
2 > On 24.11.17 16:39, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I'm trying an evasion, which is to use fetchmail to retrieve emails
4 > > from my ISP and deliver them to postfix, which can then serve them
5 > > via IMAP.
6 >
7 > Postfix is an MTA and does neither store email nor lets you access email
8 > via IMAP. There must be an IMAP server in your mix somewhere (e.g.
9 > Dovecot or Courier).
10
11 Yes, of course. Postfix feeds Dovecot here.
12
13 > > I still don't know what to add to /etc/ conf.d/fetchmail, nor whether
14 > > I need a ~/.fetchmailrc or an /etc/fetchmailrc file (no sample comes
15 > > with the ebuild).
16
17 > Your needs depend on what you are trying to achieve, and you have been a
18 > bit vague on the details.
19
20 That's because I don't yet know enough to know what questions to ask; that's
21 why I hoped I'd be pointed to a general guide or explanation.
22
23 I thought I was clear enough: I want fetchmail to fetch POP mail and feed it
24 into the local postfix (and of course dovecot) mail system. What else do you
25 need?
26
27 > If you plan to use a single fetchmail process,
28 > ~foo/.fetchmailrc (with foo being the user you want to run fetchmail as)
29 > usually suffices.
30
31 I assume you mean ~/.fetchmailrc, a file in my home directory, no?
34 Regards,
35 Peter.