From: Bruce Schultz <brulzki@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommendations for scheduler
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 09:27:29
1 On 2 August 2014 5:10:43 AM AEST, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 01/08/2014 19:50, Сергей wrote:
3 >> Also you can have a look at anacron.
9 >Unfortunately, anacron doesn't suit my needs at all. Here's how anacron
10 >works:
11 >
12 >this bunch of job will all happen today regardless of what time it is.
13 >That's not what I need, I need something that has very little to do
14 >with
15 >time. Example:
16 >
17 >1. Start backup job on db server A
18 >2. When complete, copy backup to server B and do a test import
19 >3. If import succeeds, move backup to permanent storage and log the
20 >fact
21 >4. If import fails, raise an alert and trigger the whole cycle to start
22 >again at 1
23 >
24 >Meanwhile,
25 >
26 >1. All servers are regularly doing apt-get update and downloading
27 >.debs,
28 >and applying security packages. Delay this on the db server if a backup
29 >is in progress.
30 >
31 >Meanwhile there is the regular Friday 5am code-publish cycle and
32 >month-end finance runs - this is a DevOps environment.
33
34 I'm not sure if its quite what you have in mind, and it comes with a bit of a steep learning curve, but cfengine might fit the bill.
35
36 http://cfengine.com
37
38 Bruce
42 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.