From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommendations for scheduler
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 12:09:40
1 On 03/08/2014 11:27, Bruce Schultz wrote:
4 > On 2 August 2014 5:10:43 AM AEST, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> On 01/08/2014 19:50, Сергей wrote:
6 >>> Also you can have a look at anacron.
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>
12 >> Unfortunately, anacron doesn't suit my needs at all. Here's how anacron
13 >> works:
14 >>
15 >> this bunch of job will all happen today regardless of what time it is.
16 >> That's not what I need, I need something that has very little to do
17 >> with
18 >> time. Example:
19 >>
20 >> 1. Start backup job on db server A
21 >> 2. When complete, copy backup to server B and do a test import
22 >> 3. If import succeeds, move backup to permanent storage and log the
23 >> fact
24 >> 4. If import fails, raise an alert and trigger the whole cycle to start
25 >> again at 1
26 >>
27 >> Meanwhile,
28 >>
29 >> 1. All servers are regularly doing apt-get update and downloading
30 >> .debs,
31 >> and applying security packages. Delay this on the db server if a backup
32 >> is in progress.
33 >>
34 >> Meanwhile there is the regular Friday 5am code-publish cycle and
35 >> month-end finance runs - this is a DevOps environment.
36 >
37 > I'm not sure if its quite what you have in mind, and it comes with a bit of a steep learning curve, but cfengine might fit the bill.
38 >
39 > http://cfengine.com
40
41 Hi Bruce,
42
43 Thanks for the reply.
44
45 I only worked with cfengine once, briefly, years ago, and we quickly
46 decided to roll our own deployment solution to solve that very specific
47 vertical problem.
50 Isn't cfengine a deployment framework, similar in ideals to puppet and
51 chef?
52
53 I don't want to deploy code or manage state, I want to run code
54 (backups, database maintenance, repair of dodgy data in databases and
55 code publish in a devops environment)
59 Alan McKinnon
60 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com