From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 and nvidia-drivers ==> Cannot switch to ttys or close X
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:33:26
1 * Patric <bzk0711@×××.com> wrote:
2 > andrea wrote:
3 > >...
4 > >The X session loads smooth with no errors and no warnings but after X is
5 > >loaded there is no way to come back to the framebuffer console (pressing
6 > >CTRL+ALT+F* or closing the session).
7 > >
8 > >I get an almost white screen with some distorsion. If I come back
9 > >pressing CTRL+ALT+F7 I see my X session up n running.
10 > >The same happens if I close my session and then write "startx" on the
11 > >white screen. I have a brand new session running with no problems and no
12 > >errors.
13 >
14 > I'm afraid I can't provide any help on this, but wanted to mention that I
15 > experience exactly the same behaviour with my GeForce Go 6800 (TurboCache).
16 > And this is not only for the current driver, but has been the case ever
17 > since i
18 > own this notebook (it's an Acer Travelmate 4150LMi). The nvidia driver
19 > version
20 > at the time I got it was 1.0-7184, and was already broken back then.
21 > I would really love to see a solution for this, since not being able to
22 > leave X
23 > is pretty annoying.
24 > I should mention that on this system I have Debian installed, and used
25 > kernel.orgs vanilla kernel + nvidia driver from their homepage ever since.
26
27 You're talking about the NV's secret-code driver ?
28 It makes heavy trouble with fbdev. Both together monst likely
29 won't work.
30
31 That's because they refuse to use the well approved DRI interface
32 and do something completely own and obfuscated. Nobody outside of
33 NV can really help you :(
36 cu
37 --
39 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
41 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
42 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
43 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
44 http://patches.metux.de/
46 --
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list