From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:13:07
1 >>>> I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O performance
2 >>>> and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was considering
3 >>>> getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most of the system
4 >>>> on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it sounds like some
5 >>>> are very much better than others. SLC sounds vastly superior compared
6 >>>> to MLC, but also much more expensive.
7 >
8 > On the topic of using CF for the job... just looking at
9 > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007, which
10 > doesn't take CF -> SATA adaptors into account, the highest read speed
11 > across the board is about 50MB/s, which is half of what the
12 > Velociraptor averages (and 1/5 of its burst read).
13
14 I think my real reason for posting this is I'm unhappy with my IO
15 performance. I've got a 320GB Seagate SATAII drive. How much better
16 can I do with conventional hard disks? Is there a test I can run to
17 make sure my Seagate is performing as it should?
18
19 - Grant