From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:37:08
1 On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 27 Nov 2008, at 02:08, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On Donnerstag 27 November 2008, Grant wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O performance
9 >>> and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was considering
10 >>> getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most of the system
11 >>> on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it sounds like some
12 >>> are very much better than others. SLC sounds vastly superior compared
13 >>> to MLC, but also much more expensive.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> http://valhenson.livejournal.com/25228.html
17 >>
18 >> I would rethink that after reading that post.
19 >
20 > From TFA:
21 >
22 > Postscript: Yes, this analysis is based on anecdotal evidence and
23 > personal experience, but I can't afford the time to do real research
24 > unless someone pays me to. If you know someone who will, send me
25 > email!
26 >
27 > I've read a number of other reports, also based on anecdotal evidence and
28 > personal experience, from a number of people who have very happily been
29 > using flash as root volumes for years. Their opinions disagree with TFA.
30 >
31 > Typically the reports I've read have been from people using CFcards - 4gig
32 > is now unbelievably cheap, and CFcards talk EIDE with only a small, cheap
33 > physical adaptor - on MythTV frontends & low-overhead servers. CFcards look
34 > ideal for these purposes because they're quiet - you want to minimise noise
35 > when playing back video in the living room, for instance.
36 >
37 > I think the last anecdote I read on this subject was written by Trubox
38 > (Truebox?) on the Openmoko-community list a month or two ago. They sell
39 > Aserisk systems to small business (in my area, as it happens) and I would
40 > imagine that typically the system sits in the corner of an office and is
41 > untouched for years at a time. I would imagine that have plenty of installed
42 > systems throughout the UK (otherwise they'd be going hungry). They report a
43 > very low failure rate, as did someone else on the MythTV-users list who also
44 > bases a commercial offering on flash-based hardware.
45 >
46 > Whilst I would probably, myself, install a second flash drive myself &
47 > back-up (to a stage 4?) periodically, and avoid disk-writes when logging, I
48 > get the strong impression that there's little to be scared of using flash
49 > memory.
50 >
51 > Everything I read that says flash - and particularly its wear-levelling - is
52 > unsuitable for this purpose makes sense to me, but it doesn't jibe with the
53 > real-world experiences of those who ARE using flash VERY happily.
54 >
55 > I've yet to see empirical evidence on the longevity of flash for this
56 > purpose, but I'd advise anyone considering it - anyone thinking flash
57 > unsuitable - to search the mailing lists I've mentioned. The Trubox post
58 > should be easy to find, and the subject comes up on MythTV-users every few
59 > months.
60 >
61 > Stroller.
62
63 The catch, though, is that I'd guess commercial offerings of MythTV
64 boxes like that would be updated infrequently and that the actual
65 recording storage, and likely logs and other frequent write files, is
66 done on a normal disk. It doesn't seem logical for the average Gentoo
67 user that follows the 'update often' mentality, and someone looking to
68 milk the very top in the way of speed out of their system through disk
69 throughput is very likely a 'ricer' in other respects. When you start
70 using it for frequent writes (like your average system with everyday
71 use and frequent upgrades) you start getting a little closer to the
72 line on write cycles for small-sized MLC... but SLC is going to, by my
73 guess, outlast its speed benefits by far (much like the old 800MB
74 harddrives I have around that have far outlasted their size benefits
75 from their day). Looking at SLC from a $$/GB standpoint you'll find
76 they're horrendous, but from a $$/performance... at the very least
77 Intel's X25-E starts to look a lot more reasonable for its cost (it's
78 easily enterprise grade and mops the floor with just about anything
79 else that holds data through a reboot)... which is around $760 for the
80 32MB model.
81
82 On the topic of using CF for the job... just looking at
83 http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007, which
84 doesn't take CF -> SATA adaptors into account, the highest read speed
85 across the board is about 50MB/s, which is half of what the
86 Velociraptor averages (and 1/5 of its burst read).
89 Poison [BLX]
90 Joshua M. Murphy