From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:31:54
1 On 27 Nov 2008, at 16:37, Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I think the last anecdote I read on this subject was written by
4 >> Trubox
5 >> (Truebox?) on the Openmoko-community list a month or two ago. They
6 >> sell
7 >> Aserisk systems to small business (in my area, as it happens) and I
8 >> would
9 >> imagine that typically the system sits in the corner of an office
10 >> and is
11 >> untouched for years at a time. I would imagine that have plenty of
12 >> installed
13 >> systems throughout the UK (otherwise they'd be going hungry). They
14 >> report a
15 >> very low failure rate, as did someone else on the MythTV-users list
16 >> who also
17 >> bases a commercial offering on flash-based hardware.
18 >> ...
19 >
20 > The catch, though, is that I'd guess commercial offerings of MythTV
21 > boxes like that would be updated infrequently and that the actual
22 > recording storage, and likely logs and other frequent write files, is
23 > done on a normal disk.
24
25 The "commercial offering" that I recall mentioned on the MythTV-users
26 list wasn't MythTV-related. The discussion of flash memory arose and a
27 poster mentioned his experiences using flash memory in his day job - I
28 think the employer did something like till systems, and I have this
29 idea that the poster said the flash cards were put under a reasonable
30 workload.
31
32 Stroller.