From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:14:11
1 > > > > The thing I'm confused about is how I can get anything back to the
2 > > > > laptop when it won't even have an OS on it. I could boot a LiveCD but
3 > > > > I don't think I'll be able to connect to the wireless network.
4 > > >
5 > > > Hum...that's pretty much a show stopper. In that case, setting up a
6 > > > wired network (if they have wlan, these machines would have wired lan as
7 > > > well, no?) or buying that 2.5" IDE adapter is probably the least hassle.
8 > >
9 > > Do you think it's a lost cause anyway since after a format/reinstall
10 > > the system still detects errors on the disk?
11 > >
12 > > - Grant
13 >
14 > Grant,
15 > At this point if you cannot get a clean bill of health for this
16 > drive from 2 or 3 different tools then it seems the drive is shot and
17 > needs to be replaced. I cannot imagine that it is a good use of your
18 > time installing Gentoo only to have it fail in the middle of the
19 > install or worse yet a day or two after you finish and start using the
20 > machine again.
21 >
22 > Are laptop hard drives really that expensive or hard to replace? I
23 > should think that you could get a small computer shop to drop
24 > something in for under $100, depending on your needs of course.
25 >
26 > Anyway, don't fight the trend. It seems this drive, or possibly
27 > this laptop but probably the drive, needs to be fixed. Without a solid
28 > laptop foundation your Gentoo building will soon come crashing down.
29
30 Thanks to everyone for helping me out here. I do think the drive is damaged.
31
32 - Grant
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list