From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:04:02
1 On 1/28/07, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > > The thing I'm confused about is how I can get anything back to the
3 > > > laptop when it won't even have an OS on it. I could boot a LiveCD but
4 > > > I don't think I'll be able to connect to the wireless network.
5 > >
6 > > Hum...that's pretty much a show stopper. In that case, setting up a
7 > > wired network (if they have wlan, these machines would have wired lan as
8 > > well, no?) or buying that 2.5" IDE adapter is probably the least hassle.
9 >
10 > Do you think it's a lost cause anyway since after a format/reinstall
11 > the system still detects errors on the disk?
12 >
13 > - Grant
14
15 Grant,
16 At this point if you cannot get a clean bill of health for this
17 drive from 2 or 3 different tools then it seems the drive is shot and
18 needs to be replaced. I cannot imagine that it is a good use of your
19 time installing Gentoo only to have it fail in the middle of the
20 install or worse yet a day or two after you finish and start using the
21 machine again.
22
23 Are laptop hard drives really that expensive or hard to replace? I
24 should think that you could get a small computer shop to drop
25 something in for under $100, depending on your needs of course.
26
27 Anyway, don't fight the trend. It seems this drive, or possibly
28 this laptop but probably the drive, needs to be fixed. Without a solid
29 laptop foundation your Gentoo building will soon come crashing down.
30
31 Just my 2 cents,
32 Mark
33 --