From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] advice on transitioning from package.use file to package.use directory
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 22:30:39
1 On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 15:26:10 -0400, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2
3 > Also one exception to the directory naming convention is the keywords
4 > file. The file was package.accept_keywords but the directory is
5 > package.keywords.
6
7 The name was changed from package.keywords to package.accept_keywords to
8 match the variable name in make.conf. Either can be a directory, there's
9 even an example in the portage man page of a directory with the new name.
10
11 > I always tought autounmask would write
12 > to the original package.* filename (since cross-* comes before
13 > package.*) until I saw Alan's reply.
14
15 Portage treats all the files in the directory as a single file, in
16 lexical order. If it's a file, portage adds auto-unmask entries to the
17 end ot make sure they are not counteracted by something else in the file.
18 If you use a directory, portage adds the changes to the end of the last
19 file for the same reason. As with many things, I though portage was doing
20 the wrong thing by adding to the "wrong" file, until I realised just
21 what it was doing and why. See the section on -autounmask-write
22 in man emerge.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!