From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] advice on transitioning from package.use file to package.use directory
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 23:29:26
1 On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 11:29:42 PM Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 15:26:10 -0400, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
3 >
4 > > Also one exception to the directory naming convention is the keywords
5 > > file. The file was package.accept_keywords but the directory is
6 > > package.keywords.
7 >
8 > The name was changed from package.keywords to package.accept_keywords to
9 > match the variable name in make.conf. Either can be a directory, there's
10 > even an example in the portage man page of a directory with the new name.
11
12 I guess crossdev hasn't caught up to that change (at least the stable one). It
13 only uses the package.keywords directory.
14
15 > > I always tought autounmask would write
16 > > to the original package.* filename (since cross-* comes before
17 > > package.*) until I saw Alan's reply.
18 >
19 > Portage treats all the files in the directory as a single file, in
20 > lexical order. If it's a file, portage adds auto-unmask entries to the
21 > end ot make sure they are not counteracted by something else in the file.
22 > If you use a directory, portage adds the changes to the end of the last
23 > file for the same reason. As with many things, I though portage was doing
24 > the wrong thing by adding to the "wrong" file, until I realised just
25 > what it was doing and why. See the section on -autounmask-write
26 > in man emerge.
29 Fernando Rodriguez