From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:05:08
1 Grant ha scritto:
2 >>> Lately I've been shopping around for other distros as well as looking
3 >>> at *BSD. Gentoo development seems to have slowed way down and I like
4 >>> things being improved as quickly as possible.
5 >> Where do you find it is slowed?
6 >
7 > I don't have statistics to support this, but it seems obvious to me
8 > that things have slowed way down from the pace they used to be on. In
9 > the beginning, it felt to me like the devs were building an extremely
10 > powerful and flexible foundation upon which all kinds of amazing
11 > things were going to be built. The foundation is still good but where
12 > are the skyscrapers?
13
14 I think you understood Gentoo wrong.
15
16 Gentoo IS a foundation and, AFAIK, has never been meant to be something
17 else. Gentoo provides an extremly flexible foundation to build the
18 system exactly as you like. That's why it is different.
19 Ubuntu,Fedora,Suse,Debian are *distros*: they provide a more or less
20 ready-to-go system with certain quirks, attitudes, goodies and so on, on
21 a silver plate. Gentoo instead provides a way to put up and maintain the
22 system as you like.
23
24 You want skyscrapers? Gentoo gives you what you need to build them, but
25 needs not to care about them. What you want is probably a Gentoo-derived
26 distro, not Gentoo itself. Have you considered looking at Sabayon?
27
28 m.
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list