From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:59:31
1 > > Lately I've been shopping around for other distros as well as looking
2 > > at *BSD. Gentoo development seems to have slowed way down and I like
3 > > things being improved as quickly as possible.
4 >
5 > Where do you find it is slowed?
6
7 I don't have statistics to support this, but it seems obvious to me
8 that things have slowed way down from the pace they used to be on. In
9 the beginning, it felt to me like the devs were building an extremely
10 powerful and flexible foundation upon which all kinds of amazing
11 things were going to be built. The foundation is still good but where
12 are the skyscrapers? Also the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter not being
13 published in 2 months is an easy-to-analyze indication of slowage.
14
15 > > FreeBSD is supposed to
16 > > be the closest relation, but even that won't do. I don't think there
17 > > is anything as satisfying as Gentoo out there. The concept is second
18 > > to none, the execution of that concept is fantastic, but it needs to
19 > > keep moving forward. What is the next step? Or should we keep
20 > > treading water?
21 >
22 > What do you mean, practically?
23
24 That's a very good question. I think all kinds of great things
25 "should" be built upon the Gentoo foundation. Although I doubt I'll
26 ever use it, the graphical installer is a good example. Different
27 layers going in different directions could be built on top of Gentoo's
28 foundation. To me, it seems flexible enough to allow for anything.
29
30 - Grant
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list