From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 01:52:38
1 Kris Kerwin wrote:
2
3 >Dale,
4 >
5 >I believe that the kernels have been able to write to NTFS safely for
6 >some time, now.
7 >
8 >In fact, as I recall from the last time that I built that
9 >functionality into my own kernel, menuconfig said that there were
10 >never any reported problems with the same code that has been in place
11 >since 2.4. Since there were no reported problems, the code was
12 >assumed stable.
13 >
14 >In short: it's always been able to write safely.
15 >
16 >Disclaimer:
17 >IANALKHG
18 >"I am not a linux kernel hacker guru"
19 >
20 >Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
21 >
22 >Kris
28 Thanks for that info. I have this kernel version installed:
29
30 > root@smoker / # uname -a
31 > Linux smoker 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 #2 PREEMPT Tue Dec 27 04:46:01 CST 2005
32 > i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ GNU/Linux
33 > root@smoker /
36 I'll upgrade eventually. I have read where people had trouble but they
37 never say what kernel version they are using so it's hard to tell if it
38 applies now or not. I thought it best to err on the side of caution.
39 Now I know it's OK and I may just try it with a few files to see what
40 happens.
41
42 I just wish I could put Linux on the stupid thing and be done with it.
43 We spent almost $200.00 on that stupid windoze install.
44
45 Thanks for the info.
46
47 Dale