From: Henry Gebhardt <hsggebhardt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it sefe to unmerge?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:17:06
1 2008/2/14, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:58:03AM +0100, Penguin Lover Henry Gebhardt
4 > squawked:
5 > >
6 > > Holy shit, what's going on? The ebuild in the portage tree is different
7 > than
8 > > the one in /var/db/pkg/. Is it normal to update an ebuild but not its
9 > > revision number? Here is the diff:
12 > ---snipped---
13 >
14 > Damn, I spoke too soon. Just re-synced, and now this pops in the
15 > Changelog for pam
16 >
17 > 10 Feb 2008; Diego Petten<C3><B2> <flameeyes@g.o>
18 > pam-0.99.8.1-r1.ebuild, pam-0.99.9.0.ebuild:
19 > Remove dependency over pwdb, pam_pwdb is no more present in PAM 0.99,
20 > so the dependency was bogus.
21 >
22 > So, yeah, pwdb is not a dependency anymore and people can safely
23 > remove it.
26 I agree.
27
28 It seems that ebuilds do change quite frequently without a revision bump. I
29 wrote a tiny script to see all changed ebuilds. I could'nt make it just one
30 script, but had to make two: one for makeing the diff (ebuilddifff.sh), and
31 one to search for the ebuilds and call the former script (findebuildiffs.sh).
32 Just put them in the same directory, and run ./findebuildiffs.sh | less in
33 case you are interested in what has changed.
34
35 From what I can see, it seems most changes are quite trivial and indeed not
36 worth a revision bump. But sometimes, I am not so sure... For instances,
37 glibc-2.7-r1 is now using a different patchset (version 1.6 instead of 1.4).
38
39 Does anyone know what the policy is on changing ebuilds like that?
40
41 ~Henry

findebuildiffs.sh application/x-sh
ebuilddifff.sh application/x-sh