From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice emerge failing
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:51:18
1 On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Michael P. Soulier
2 <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
3 > On 20/11/08 Michael P. Soulier said:
4 >> On 20/11/08 Redouane Boumghar said:
5 >> > SO please check how much available memory you have
6 >>
7 >> I have 1Gig in this system, and I'm planning to add more.
8 >
9 > So, I killed firefox to free up memory and let it build overnight. The build
10 > completed successfully. Perhaps it was a memory issue.
11 >
12 > I'm starting to think that ebuilds need available memory requirements. Don't
13 > build this without 1Gig of free memory, etc...
14 >
15 > Anywho, it works now.
16 >
17 > Mike
18 > --
19 > Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
20 > "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
21 > touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
22 > --Albert Einstein
23
24 Both RAM and disk space are non-issues on my system[1] and last
25 night's ooo rebuild still managed to fail (too far away from my logs
26 to see that error easily, but pretty sure it was module 'sw' rather
27 than 'chart2'). I restarted it this morning, but didn't get to stay
28 and watch... and I'll be out of town all weekend. Maybe next week I'll
29 have time to see if it's willing to cooperate... same general error
30 message as OP, but different place in the build.
31
32 [1] 4GB ram, less than 1gb used when I'm not compiling, and I was
33 building ooo with portage temp pointed toward my half-empty 500GB
34 drive (since it wasn't going to fit in tmpfs like nearly everything
35 else does).
38 Poison [BLX]
39 Joshua M. Murphy