From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Retro ...
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:29:59
1 Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> [16-02-17 20:24]:
2 > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM, <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > curious about how that had felt in ancient times, when hardware
6 > > and software were limited, I tried 'ed' - the one and only
7 > > editor ;)
8 > >
9 > > One feature I cant figure out (and the reason for that may be, that it
10 > > is not there... :) is:
11 > >
12 > > One has to specify the line, which s/he wants to edit. This is
13 > > possible via regexp (which matches more than one line and may be
14 > > not, what you want) and via line numbers.
15 > >
16 > > In case one wants to use line numbers:
17 > > One can list the whole text to the console...but the line numbers
18 > > are missing.
19 > > The "visual version of ed" called 'vi' is able to preceed any line
20 > > with a line number.
21 > >
22 > > Is this possible with ed?
23 > > How does one know the number of a specific line?
24 > >
25 > > Or do I miss something very fundamental here ???
26 > >
27 > > Thanks for any help in advance!
28 > > Best regards,
29 > > Meino
34 > You may find this manual, https://9p.io/7thEdMan/v7vol2a.pdf, for
35 > research UNIX 7th edition of interest.
36 > Amongst other things, it has a section called 'A Tutorial Introduction
37 > to the UNIX Text Editor' written by Brian W. Kernighan of Bell Labs at
38 > the time. You may then find a section called 'Advanced Editing on
39 > UNIX' of further interest.
42 Hi Alexander,
43
44 THANKS A LOT! 8)
45 That seems to be the "definitive guide to ed" because Brian Kernigham
46 is the author...
47 Looks like you linked me the "Programing C" by Dennis Ritchie - but
48 for the ed and by Brian Kerningham. ;)
49 Best!
50
51 Best regards,
52 Meino