From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:25:38
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:24:52 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Because a first-time installer benefits from the confidence given by
6 >> > using an official install disc.
7 >>
8 >> I don't understand that. What confidence? To install Gentoo,
9 >> you need a way to partition your storage, create filesystems
10 >> and chroot. That can easily be done by any live CD.
11 >
12 > Assuming you know what you are doing.
13
14 Of course. And if you don't, then you should get some clue (maybe
15 by reading the wonderful documentation).
16
17 But if you still don't know what you're doing, then the Install
18 CD would also be of no help at all for you.
19
20 > If you've ever tried to help a
21 > number of less confident users through it, you'd know what I mean.
22
23 And why should there be a difference, if they start from a GRML
24 CD compared to a Gentoo CD?
25
26 > While I don't disagree that a Gentoo live CD is absolutely necessary, you
27 > seem to be taking the argument further, saying that Gentoo should not
28 > have its own live CD. Why?
29
30 Because it's unnecessary. It adds stuff to the "Gentoo Environment"
31 which needs to be supported. And it barely adds anything useful
32
33 Michael
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list