From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] normal user do not have access to usb, and many other things
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:25:17
1 On 9 March 2010 11:14, Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > i usually use my linux system with root account. i think it is not
5 > good, so i created a normal user account for myself. but i found that
6 > i cannot access many system resources, like usb disk, battery
7 > informatiion, etc.
8 >
9 > i am already in these groups: disk,wheel,audio,video,usb,haldaemon,plugdev.
10 >
11 > now, i cannot get notification when i plug a new usb device. my
12 > battery gadget says battery information is not available.
13 >
14 > all there stuffs works fine if i log in with root account.
15
16 You only have yourself to blame I'm afraid ...
17
18 When you login to xorg using a root account some configuration files
19 become owned by root. A normal user can no longer access them. Most
20 desktops should be clever enough to allow users to create their own
21 configuration files in their home directory - but I am not sure how
22 you have yours set up.
23
24 Either way, to login in X as root user is a *very* bad idea from a
25 security perspective. Personally, I recommend to reinstall Gentoo
26 from scratch, instead of messing up with access permissions on config
27 files. It would also teach you to follow the Gentoo handbook to the
28 letter (which asks you to set up a plain user account during the
29 installation). ;-)
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick