From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 10:06:15
1 On Monday 01 January 2007 04:34, Mike Myers wrote:
2 > The update system is the -only- nice thing about it over Gentoo.
3 >  Debian is nowhere near Gentoo when it comes to everything else
4 > (especially docs).  I don't think suggesting a single feature that
5 > another distro has and putting into Gentoo is trying to make it a
6 > clone.  I'm just asking for a relief from having to constantly worry
7 > if updating something out of the 300 packages that need updated is
8 > going to break something, and not having to make sure etc-update
9 > isn't going to destroy my custom configs afterwards.  If it wasn't
10 > for that, Gentoo would be perfect.  I'm sure there's got to be others
11 > that would agree.
12
13 At this point it might be helpful to revisit what gentoo really *is* in
14 engineering terms
15
16 Gentoo is not an off-the-shelf, commodity, we-do-everything-for-you and
17 you don't have to think (much) distro, it's in a completely different
18 class. The devs have given up the ability to configure things a certain
19 way and handed that control over to you. You get increased
20 customizability but have to pay the price of increased knowledge and
21 responsibility, including that you get to keep both pieces when you
22 break it.
23
24 Red Hat and Ubuntu can do all these tests for you, the gentoo devs can't
25 (except in some very broad cases like package-1.0 is config-file
26 incompatible with package-2.x), so we gentoo-users have to do these
27 tests ourselves.
28
29 Remember the old joke: "We can make it cheaply, quickly, correctly. Pick
30 any two." You have a case like this, maybe it's time to just get over
31 it :-)
32
33 alan
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list