From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:40:39
1 On 12/31/06, Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:Mike Myers wrote:
2 > > I just wanted to add something to the original post.
3 > >
4 > > I've recently began experimenting with Debian and noticed their updating
5 > > system is exactly like what I was asking about. Basically, there's
6 > > package updates, and then there's distro updates. Why is it
7 > > unreasonable for Gentoo to have something like this? I think it would
8 > > help Gentoo a lot in the server market, where scalability is important.
9 >
10 > While this is true, one of the differentiating points of Gentoo is
11 > precisely the build-from-source idea (there are plenty of binary update
12 > distros out there).
15 I'm not trying to suggest that Gentoo should go to a binary distro or
16 anything like that. Besides, it's easy enough to just use a binary package
17 server if that's what one needs. I'm just wondering why there isn't some
18 kind of update management system to like, differentiate minor updates like
19 firefox 1.5.0.5 to firefox 1.5.0.7 and major ones like, y'know, gcc 3.4.4 to
20 4+? The way it is now, they're all lumped together like one big update.
21 The lack of such a system might make it easier for the devs.. but this is a
22 pain in the ass for the users when they run into a problem like this
23 unexpectedly. It's even worse when that user is managing several Gentoo
24 machines. This kind of thing does not scale at all.
27 One other thing - to actually do what you are suggesting requires a fair
28 > number of extra volunteers to maintain these package updates. Now I'm
29 > not saying its not possible, or even a bad idea mind - just wore work...
30 > and maybe that effort might be better spent on keeping the current
31 > momentum and quality of Gentoo as it is (or improving it)...
32 >
33 > Cheers
34 >
35 > Mark
36 > --
37 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
40 I don't see why it would take that much work. If the tree was versioned,
41 then the profile could be more significant with what was updated. Like, in
42 the ebuild it could have a single additional entry for a minimum profile.
43 Then, that user won't have to deal with that update until they update their
44 profile. I'm sure there's other ways of doing that, but from what I've seen
45 of portage and it's scripts, it is quite flexible for changes such as this.
46 If anything, this could just be a gradual addition to new scripts instead of
47 editing each and every ebuild. Whatever the solution is if there is going
48 to be one at all should not be a complicated one, or it would defeat the
49 purpose altogether.