From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 06:55:25
1 On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Mike Myers wrote:
2
3 > On 12/31/06, Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:Mike Myers wrote:
4 > > > I just wanted to add something to the original post.
5 > > >
6 > > > I've recently began experimenting with Debian and noticed their updating
7 > > > system is exactly like what I was asking about. Basically, there's
8 > > > package updates, and then there's distro updates. Why is it
9 > > > unreasonable for Gentoo to have something like this? I think it would
10 > > > help Gentoo a lot in the server market, where scalability is important.
11 > >
12 > > While this is true, one of the differentiating points of Gentoo is
13 > > precisely the build-from-source idea (there are plenty of binary update
14 > > distros out there).
17 > I'm not trying to suggest that Gentoo should go to a binary distro or
18 > anything like that. Besides, it's easy enough to just use a binary package
19 > server if that's what one needs. I'm just wondering why there isn't some
20 > kind of update management system to like, differentiate minor updates like
21 > firefox 1.5.0.5 to firefox 1.5.0.7 and major ones like, y'know, gcc 3.4.4 to
22 > 4+? The way it is now, they're all lumped together like one big update.
23 > The lack of such a system might make it easier for the devs.. but this is a
24 > pain in the ass for the users when they run into a problem like this
25 > unexpectedly. It's even worse when that user is managing several Gentoo
26 > machines. This kind of thing does not scale at all.
27
28 The problem is that the chance of something breaking gets higher the more
29 you do at once, and the chance of something you need to be able to recover
30 also breaking goes up sharply. I've been watching people use Debian for
31 quite a while now, and I've rarely if ever seen a system upgrade without
32 major problems. People have problems like: the new release has a version
33 of Apache that has a different config file arrangement, and it's hard to
34 make a new config file that handles the web app the system is supposed to
35 be running; the old Apache worked fine, but the new release doesn't use
36 it, and the old binary requires a ton of libraries that the new release
37 doesn't have, either. And there's no easy way to downgrade to the old
38 release until you have time to mess with config files.
39
40 With Gentoo, you find that the new apache doesn't work with your config
41 files, so you mask it until you have time to deal with it.
42
43 > I'm just asking for a relief from having to constantly worry if updating
44 > something out of the 300 packages that need updated is going to break
45 > something, and not having to make sure etc-update isn't going to destroy
46 > my custom configs afterwards. If it wasn't for that, Gentoo would be
47 > perfect. I'm sure there's got to be others that would agree.
48
49 Well, there are two goals here: make it so you can do all the safe updates
50 without any of the ones which will require manual fixing, and make it so
51 your custom configs are protected.
52
53 I think it would be useful to have an ebuild thing for "upgrading to this
54 package from version {expression} requires the following steps", such that
55 the message will be displayed only if you're doing that, and such that the
56 upgrade will be masked if you're being conservative in upgrading.
57
58 I also think that emerge should keep track of the config files installed
59 by packages, so that etc-update knows if you've got local modifications,
60 and give you a big warning when you might lose a change you made.
61
62 -Daniel
63 *This .sig left intentionally blank*
64 --