From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:41:43
1 Mike Myers wrote:
2
3 > (snippage)
4 > I'm not trying to suggest that Gentoo should go to a binary distro or
5 > anything like that. I'm just wondering why there
6 > isn't some kind of update management system to like, differentiate minor
7 > updates like firefox 1.5.0.5 <http://1.5.0.5> to firefox 1.5.0.7
8 > <http://1.5.0.7> and major ones like, y'know, gcc 3.4.4 to 4+?
9
10 Ok - sorry, was misled by the mentioning of packages!
14 > The update system is the -only- nice thing about it over Gentoo. Debian
15 > is nowhere near Gentoo when it comes to everything else (especially
16 > docs). I don't think suggesting a single feature that another distro
17 > has and putting into Gentoo is trying to make it a clone. I'm just
18 > asking for a relief from having to constantly worry if updating
19 > something out of the 300 packages that need updated is going to break
20 > something, and not having to make sure etc-update isn't going to destroy
21 > my custom configs afterwards. If it wasn't for that, Gentoo would be
22 > perfect. I'm sure there's got to be others that would agree.
25 Yeah, it would be good to know an update is not going to give a broken
26 system - but to implement some sort of (extra) tagged release testing
27 would be a significant amount of effort for the community. In addition
28 it could be argued that there is potentially little real gain in doing
29 this, as it is *never* possible to ensure no breakage (e.g. Microsoft
30 updates are a case in point...).
31
32 At the end of the day, regardless of whatever release
33 engineering/quality process Gentoo (or any software product) has, you
34 really have to follow the steps:
35
36 1/ Update (1 or more) machines in your test environment.
37 2/ Run your test suite.
38 3/ Update the rest of your machines if 2/ pases.
39
40 Personally I don't see why this does not scale.
43 Cheers
44
45 Mark
46 --