From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 20:32:12
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
4 >>>>>> [...] what would be the best way to defrag it?
5 >>>>> By not defragging it.
6 >>>>> [...]
7 >>>> I don't buy into that argument and never did. Every few months I
8 >>>> copy the
9 >>>> whole HD to another one and then back to counter fragmentation
10 >>>> (ext3) and
11 >>>> the system becomes noticeably faster after doing it (speed increase in
12 >>>> emerge --sync for example.) Maybe it's not fragmentation but
13 >>>> rather related
14 >>>> files being more closely together after I do this.
15 >>>
16 >>> How exactly do you copy the files? [...]
17 >>
18 >> I simply boot from the Gentoo DVD and rsync to another ext3
19 >> partition, wipe the current filesystem and then rsync back.
20 >
21 > OK, I once again verified that fragmentation seems to be a big issue
22 > even on Linux. I just migrated to ext4, and in order to do that I had
23 > to rsync, format and rsync back. The result is similar to the last
24 > time I did this (over 8 months ago):
25 >
26 > emerge --sync takes 15 seconds (at least 3 minutes yesterday)
27 > update-eix takes 2 seconds (20 seconds yesterday)
28 >
29 > And I don't believe it's due to ext4. It's a nice speed-up from ext3,
30 > but not THAT nice.
35 Well, try as I may, I could not get mine past 10% on resiserfs.
36 Fragmentation happens on any file system but I think the point is that
37 Linux doesn't get as bad as the windoze file system. 10% or so is not
38 to bad depending on the size of the files. Files that are large will
39 have to be fragmented no matter what file system you use.
40
41 I posted in another the reply right after a copy to another drive. I
42 think that was before I even booted into the OS and was still on the
43 CD. It is around 2% or so. I doubt given that condition that it could
44 get any better.
45
46 Dale
47