From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:49:34
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
3 >>>>> [...] what would be the best way to defrag it?
4 >>>> By not defragging it.
5 >>>> [...]
6 >>> I don't buy into that argument and never did. Every few months I
7 >>> copy the
8 >>> whole HD to another one and then back to counter fragmentation (ext3)
9 >>> and
10 >>> the system becomes noticeably faster after doing it (speed increase in
11 >>> emerge --sync for example.) Maybe it's not fragmentation but rather
12 >>> related
13 >>> files being more closely together after I do this.
14 >>
15 >> How exactly do you copy the files? [...]
16 >
17 > I simply boot from the Gentoo DVD and rsync to another ext3 partition,
18 > wipe the current filesystem and then rsync back.
19
20 OK, I once again verified that fragmentation seems to be a big issue
21 even on Linux. I just migrated to ext4, and in order to do that I had
22 to rsync, format and rsync back. The result is similar to the last time
23 I did this (over 8 months ago):
24
25 emerge --sync takes 15 seconds (at least 3 minutes yesterday)
26 update-eix takes 2 seconds (20 seconds yesterday)
27
28 And I don't believe it's due to ext4. It's a nice speed-up from ext3,
29 but not THAT nice.