From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 20:51:25
1 On Friday 26 December 2008 21:49:02 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > OK, I once again verified that fragmentation seems to be a big issue
4 > even on Linux. I just migrated to ext4, and in order to do that I had
5 > to rsync, format and rsync back. The result is similar to the last time
6 > I did this (over 8 months ago):
7 >
8 > emerge --sync takes 15 seconds (at least 3 minutes yesterday)
9 > update-eix takes 2 seconds (20 seconds yesterday)
10 >
11 > And I don't believe it's due to ext4. It's a nice speed-up from ext3,
12 > but not THAT nice.
13
14 Um, did it occur to you that after you emerge --sync'ed yesterday and ran
15 update-eix that your portage tree is now very up to date and your eix cache
16 is hot?
17
18 Therefore successive runs will naturally be much quicker? And that yesterday
19 was xmas day, a day most likely to involve very few if any portage updates?
20 Or that emerge --sync could easily speed up simply because you had more
21 bandwidth?
22
23 Your speed-ups likely have very little to do with your filesystem.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com