From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:02:57
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 26 December 2008 21:49:02 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >> OK, I once again verified that fragmentation seems to be a big issue
5 >> even on Linux. I just migrated to ext4, and in order to do that I had
6 >> to rsync, format and rsync back. The result is similar to the last time
7 >> I did this (over 8 months ago):
8 >>
9 >> emerge --sync takes 15 seconds (at least 3 minutes yesterday)
10 >> update-eix takes 2 seconds (20 seconds yesterday)
11 >>
12 >> And I don't believe it's due to ext4. It's a nice speed-up from ext3,
13 >> but not THAT nice.
14 >
15 > Um, did it occur to you that after you emerge --sync'ed yesterday and ran
16 > update-eix that your portage tree is now very up to date and your eix cache
17 > is hot?
18 >
19 > Therefore successive runs will naturally be much quicker? And that yesterday
20 > was xmas day, a day most likely to involve very few if any portage updates?
21 > Or that emerge --sync could easily speed up simply because you had more
22 > bandwidth?
23 >
24 > Your speed-ups likely have very little to do with your filesystem.
25
26 Well, instead of "yesterday" let's just say "the past 5 months". I
27 already did the rsync/format thing a few times over the last years, and
28 the results are always the same: very fast filesystem for about a month,
29 then it starts getting slower over time.