From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:42:34
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On Friday 26 December 2008 21:49:02 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> OK, I once again verified that fragmentation seems to be a big issue
6 >>> even on Linux. I just migrated to ext4, and in order to do that I had
7 >>> to rsync, format and rsync back. The result is similar to the last
8 >>> time
9 >>> I did this (over 8 months ago):
10 >>>
11 >>> emerge --sync takes 15 seconds (at least 3 minutes yesterday)
12 >>> update-eix takes 2 seconds (20 seconds yesterday)
13 >>>
14 >>> And I don't believe it's due to ext4. It's a nice speed-up from ext3,
15 >>> but not THAT nice.
16 >>
17 >> Um, did it occur to you that after you emerge --sync'ed yesterday and
18 >> ran update-eix that your portage tree is now very up to date and your
19 >> eix cache is hot?
20 >>
21 >> Therefore successive runs will naturally be much quicker? And that
22 >> yesterday was xmas day, a day most likely to involve very few if any
23 >> portage updates? Or that emerge --sync could easily speed up simply
24 >> because you had more bandwidth?
25 >>
26 >> Your speed-ups likely have very little to do with your filesystem.
27 >
28 > Well, instead of "yesterday" let's just say "the past 5 months". I
29 > already did the rsync/format thing a few times over the last years,
30 > and the results are always the same: very fast filesystem for about a
31 > month, then it starts getting slower over time.
36 I have to say that after my recent transfer, my login got a whole one
37 second faster. I can't tell any difference anywhere else. Of course,
38 portage has always been on its own partition and used ext3.
39
40 We need a hard drive engineer on here. :/
41
42 Dale
43