From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:47:59
1 Dale wrote:
2 > I have to say that after my recent transfer, my login got a whole one
3 > second faster. I can't tell any difference anywhere else. Of course,
4 > portage has always been on its own partition and used ext3.
5 >
6 > We need a hard drive engineer on here. :/
7 >
8 > Dale
9 >
10 > :-) :-)
13 Hey, I've been following this thread with some interest. I just wanted
14 to note that you guys might like to subscribe to Sun's ZFS-discuss list
15 and possibly Storage-discuss. The guys on there really are hard-disk
16 gurus and some of the things they talk about are miles over my head.
17
18 It's just interesting as ZFS is supposedly (and I believe it) THE
19 filesystem when it comes to combating fragmentation. Maybe reading over
20 what those guys chat about would be interesting to some folks from this
21 thread.
22
23 In fact, the guys over at Sun are so hot on fighting fragmentation,
24 they're already looking at some really advanced things like low level
25 algorithms for deduplication and some other things that scare me and
26 make me want to take a hot shower :P
27
28 Happy holidays
29