From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 22:30:00
1 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> I have to say that after my recent transfer, my login got a whole one
4 >> second faster. I can't tell any difference anywhere else. Of course,
5 >> portage has always been on its own partition and used ext3.
6 >>
7 >> We need a hard drive engineer on here. :/
8 >>
9 >> Dale
10 >>
11 >> :-) :-)
12 >
13 > Hey, I've been following this thread with some interest. I just wanted
14 > to note that you guys might like to subscribe to Sun's ZFS-discuss
15 > list and possibly Storage-discuss. The guys on there really are
16 > hard-disk gurus and some of the things they talk about are miles over
17 > my head.
18 >
19 > It's just interesting as ZFS is supposedly (and I believe it) THE
20 > filesystem when it comes to combating fragmentation. Maybe reading
21 > over what those guys chat about would be interesting to some folks
22 > from this thread.
23 >
24 > In fact, the guys over at Sun are so hot on fighting fragmentation,
25 > they're already looking at some really advanced things like low level
26 > algorithms for deduplication and some other things that scare me and
27 > make me want to take a hot shower :P
28 >
29 > Happy holidays
30 >
31 > Matt
35 But if we learned to much, we may be dangerous or something. Sometimes
36 to much knowledge can be bad. lol
37
38 I !think! I tried XFS once. If it was XFS, you need to have a UPS for
39 sure. Every time the system crashed I had to re-install. I never got
40 it to recover even once. I have heard the same thing about its defrag
41 efficiency tho. Just don't trust it to much with my data.
42
43 Dale
44